Functional Movement Screen (FMS)
The FMS is a screening tool used to evaluate 7 fundamental movement patterns for athletes/individuals who are NOT in PAIN.
WHAT IS IT?
- 7 movement tests that require a balance of mobility and stability
- A way to rate and rank movements
- A method to identify compensatory patterns which lead to sub-optimal movement reinforcement leading to poor biomechanics and possible injury
WHY DO WE SCREEN?
- To identify movement dysfunction in active people (establish a baseline of movement)
- Develop a common movement language among sports medicine professionals
- Gain better insight on how to enhance an individual’s workout, training, and/or exercise plan
WHAT DOES IT DO?
- Assesses functional and fundamental movement
- Gauges competence of basic movements uncomplicated by specific skills
- Determines greatest areas of movement deficiency
- Demonstrates limitations or asymmetries
- Exposes dysfunction or pain or both
WHAT IT DOESN’T DO
- Measure isolated joint movement
WHEN TO USE THE FMS
- As part of a pre-placement (work) or pre-participation (exercise) examination to determine deficits that may be overlooked during a traditional medical and performance evaluation
- To assess muscle flexibility, strength imbalances or compensation due to previous injury which are significant risk factors for future injury
- To identify functional deficits related to proprioceptive, mobility and stability limitations in order to decrease injuries and improve performance
INTERPRETING SCREEN RESULTS & INTERVENTION
- Utilization of an algorithm to quickly identify and prioritize asymmetries and movement restrictions found in the screen
- Once the priority movement pattern has been identified, a targeted intervention using corrective exercises is formulated
- If there are no areas of concern within a movement pattern, the individual is cleared to train and load that pattern
- If PAIN is present during the FMS, the individual will immediately receive a Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA) – a total body diagnostic system designed to provide an efficient method for systematically finding the cause of the patient’s pain, not just the source